The Winter House, designed by Walter Burley Griffin has been listed on the State Heritage Register. Also known as Redstone, the Winter House was built in 1935 at Telopea in Sydney’s west. The listing was announced by the Planning Minister, Kristina Keneally at a media event at the house on 9 January 2009.
The Winter House has exceptional intactness and integrity, and is the last Griffin house still remaining in the ownership of the family who commissioned it.
The house is an example of Griffin’s development of Prairie School principles that had their origin in the landscape-inspired houses of the early modern movement in Chicago.
The house is sited at the top of a rise within the Parramatta Valley with long views towards the Blue Mountains. It responds to the broad, open site of the undulating Cumberland Plain at Dundas. It is well set back on the intact original block, retaining its intended setting and layout.